Popcorn Cake: Easy, Fun and Delicious
I originally found the idea on Pinterest and knew I had to try it! I made the cake pictured above for a family gathering and it was a smashing success! Don't worry - I have all the instructions for you so you can make your own Popcorn Cake!
(2) Bags of Microwave Popcorn
(2) Cups M&M's
(1.5) Cups Broken Pretzel Sticks (not crushed, I broke mine in half)
(1) Stick of Butter
(8) Cups of Mini Marshmallows
(1) Bundt pan, spray with Pam or cooking spray before beginning
(1) Pop both bags of popcorn according to directions. Be sure to remove any kernels that didn't pop (no one wants an emergency dental visit). Place into a large mixing bowl (make sure it's a really big one!)
(2) Mix in the M&M's and the pretzels. Stir thoroughly.
(3) Melt the stick of butter over low heat, and mix in the marshmallows. Stir until melted and smooth, being careful not to overcook or turn heat too high. Remove from heat and pour over popcorn mixture, stirring thoroughly.
(4) Once stirred, place the mixture into your prepared Bundt pan. Press down to make the mixture as even as possible. Cover with foil and allow your cake to sit up for at least an hour. Note: I actually placed mine in the refrigerator for a while, because it was pretty warm and humid here that day!
(5) When you are ready to serve the popcorn cake, run a butter knife around the edges of your pan to loosen. Place on a serving tray and enjoy!
The cake can be sliced with a sharp knife, and served like "real" cake. Additionally, you can just pull it apart (if you're not concerned about the appearance of your creation or germs - I'm not one of those people - as I'm a little germaphobic). I also tried this recipe once with colored marshmallows, and the cake turned out very dark. I didn't think it looked nearly as pretty as when prepared with the solid white marshmallows.
Wouldn't this look pretty for spring if you used the pastel colored M&M's? I will probably make another one soon.
What do you think? Have you ever had a Popcorn Cake? They are delish and oh so easy to make! Enjoy!