Gulf Coast Style Seafood: West Indies Salad Recipe

Happy Monday!

Here on the Gulf Coast, we are always preparing and cooking seafood. Today I thought I would share one of our favorite recipes - West Indies Salad. This is prepared with lump crabmeat and is a warm weather favorite. We make this often on the weekends, and it's one of the DH's favorites.

West Indies Salad

Ingredients:

(1) medium Onion, finely chopped
(1) lb. lump crabmeat
(4) oz. Wesson oil
(3) oz. cider vinegar
(4) oz. Ice Water
Salt & Pepper

Spread half of onion over bottom of large bowl. Cover with separated crab lumps and then remaining onion. Salt and Pepper. Then (in this order) pour oil, vinegar, and ice water over all. Cover and marinate at least 8 and up to 12 hours. Toss lightly before serving. 

West Indies Salad is commonly served over crackers, and believe it or not, plain Saltines are a great choice! A few local restaurants mix it up a little bit and serve the salad over lettuce leaves. One of my favorites is to serve on top of a sliced tomato. If you have access to creole tomatoes (generally available in Louisiana) - slice and serve on top. (Secret: the Ruth's Chris locations in our area do this). It's also a great way to enjoy West Indies Salad without the carbs of the crackers...although DH prefers the Saltines and the carbs!

Try it - you won't be disappointed! It's a fantastic choice for your next spring or coastal gathering! Just make plenty - it disappears quick! :-)

Let me know what you think! Have a Marvelous Monday!

p.s. Lilly Pulitzer will be on Rue La La Wednesday. If you're not a member, click HERE for your free invite! I don't know about you, but I'm glad RLL accepts Paypal! :-)

Comments

  1. Hey Lady!

    I will be your way for Spring Break..... 9 whole days!
    Let's make a date!1 By date I mean an afternoon in the sun with umberella drinks:)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am licking my lips right now wishing i had that pasta! thanks for sharing the recipe! happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK!!! I have to put this in the Paprika App on my IPad!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit With Caroline Grace Jewelry

Birthday Celebration: Lilly Pulitzer Giveaway from The Pink Pelican

Testing The Waters