Where My Little Pulitzer Obsession Kicked Into Overdrive...


Shopaholic Confession Time: it's difficult to remember days when I didn't run around like a crazy lady, collecting Lilly Pulitzer dresses, tunics and skirts.  However, in years 2000, 2001, 2002 - I only owned a few pieces. The reason, you ask? Because in the town where I lived, it wasn't available in any of the stores. (Thankfully, this has all changed now - but 10-11 years ago, that wasn't the case.)


When we moved north in 2003, I was happy to learn that the best department store in town carried Lilly. Hello - Belk! Hello - Southpark Mall in Charlotte! (Don't judge - this was before Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, etc. came to Charlotte - Belk really was the best department store in town back then!)


Because I was away from home, and because there was no beach in Charlotte, I spent many a Saturday afternoon at Southpark Mall. More than I am willing to admit. The Lilly Pulitzer department at Belk quickly became my "home away from home". The sales associates knew me by name, and called me every time there was a sale. The Lilly dresses and other goodies I purchased there made me happy - especially when I missed my old life, old friends and my family. Shopping to fill a void? Perhaps...


Belk really does have a nice selection of Lilly at Southpark Mall. The following photos were taken when I went to Charlotte in mid-August. These will give you an idea how much merchandise they carry. 




Can I share something odd with you, though? I didn't buy one.single.piece of Lilly Pulitzer when I was in Belk that day! Can you believe it?!? My BFF Lisa was floored, and my DH was in a slight state of shock. It was the strangest thing...with all that Lilly at my fingertips, I didn't have the urge to make a purchase. The DH doesn't need to know that I more than made up for it at the Tory Burch boutique later that afternoon...please don't tell...sshhh....


Truth be told, most of the super sale deals were items I either already owned, or never was crazy about to begin with and just didn't want. Many items from the Fall 2011 collection had recently arrived in the store, but honestly I couldn't get into the state of mind to purchase Fall when it was over 90 degrees outside. Fall Lilly is always a little strange for me - our weather doesn't cool off here in coastal Alabama until at least November. So I generally wait on the Fall collection to begin going on sale before I make my purchases. 


Am I gambling, by waiting on a sale? Sure, I suppose I am. Then again - will it be the end of the world if I don't get a particular tunic or dress? Yeah, probably not. :-) 


Do you frequent a department store that carries Lilly Pulitzer? Do you visit them often? Tell me about your favorites! 


p.s. There are days that I do miss popping over to Southpark Mall to try on a dress, or check out the sale rack. Sometimes not living in a big city can be a little sad on the shopping front...then again, it's probably better for the wallet! 

Comments

  1. ok I had NO idea you were from Charlotte at some point! That is my home town girl! I still love the Belk in Southpark and sometimes prefer it over Nordstrom, etc because sometimes now that the "big" stores are there they forget about Belks...which means lots of goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love this post! SouthPark is my stomping ground. I'm the same way, Belk used to be my go-to place, but with so many boutiques there now (ie Vineyard Vines, Tory Burch, Anthropologie, etc), it's hard to just stay at Belk. And right now, it's more online shopping for me! Not much time to shop with three kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Did you order anything with the Tory Burch promo last weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Belk! :) They do pretty good sales on Lilly too. I've gotten some major bargains.

    And I cannot believe you didn't buy anything that day. But sometimes you just don't hit it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish the Belk near me carried Lilly. Dillard's is the only department store to carry the line and they don't have much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work at a university just outside charlotte and spent a ton of time(and too much $) at the southpark mall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you ever make it over to Fort Myers FL you must go to the Pink Pineapple! They carry Lilly and all things Lilly like!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit With Caroline Grace Jewelry

Testing The Waters

Birthday Celebration: Lilly Pulitzer Giveaway from The Pink Pelican