My Shopaholic Skin System

Do you have a specific nighttime skincare regime or system? It's almost a big joke here, when I tell the DH I have to "get ready for bed" - that means I'll be in front of the mirror for at least fifteen minutes before retiring for the evening. And all because of my nightly regime! 


I like to think that I have pretty decent skin and a fairly nice complexion, but it comes with an investment of my time and a little money. I've always been one of those girls who took care of her skin. Heck, I lay out in the sun for eight months out of the year - I know I must do this! :)


Even when I was a teenager and in my early 20's, I didn't go to bed with makeup on my face or eyes. I can clearly recall the day my Mother took me to the Clinique counter and I was introduced to the 3-step system, some of which I still use today. Over the years, my skin's needs have changed and the products have changed as a result. 


Just for fun, here are the products that I use religiously every night. These are listed in the order I use them. 


#1 - Clarisonic Classic & Clinique Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser: Apply a nickel-size amount of cleanser on the Clarisonic, then dampen it with a shot of water.  I have my Clarisonic set for a full two minutes of cleansing. I use this all over my face and for a few seconds on my neck. 


#2 - Clinique Liquid Facial Soap in Mild: Another step with the Clarisonic Classic. Approximately a nickel size amount of liquid soap on the Clarisonic brush, and another full two minutes of cleansing. Also on my face and a few seconds on my neck. 


#3 - Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2: I apply this toner to a cotton ball and swipe it over my face and neck. The toner makes my skin feel "tight" and removes any leftover cleanser/soap residue or makeup that might have been missed. 


#4 - Clinique Take The Day Off: With a cotton ball for each eye, I use this product as eye makeup remover. After dousing the cotton ball, I will let it "rest" on my closed eye for a full 10-15 seconds before sweeping away the makeup. This is a very important step because you're not "pulling" at your eyes - which causes wrinkling. I don't like wrinkles. 


#5 - Clinique All About Eyes: I've tried numerous eye creams - high end, mid range and cheap. For my eyes, this works the best of anything I've ever tried. The cream helps not only with wrinkles, but is also a de-puffer and has a silky, creamy consistency. If Clinique ever discontinues this product, I have no idea what I'll do. Other than start my own "Occupy Clinique" at their headquarters. :-) 


#6 - Latisse: Yep, I'm using Latisse. I've been using this for about seven weeks, and yes, it works. My lashes are much longer and much fuller. I only use it once a day, and have not experienced any side effects. I haven't decided if I will continue to use this - the DH thinks my lashes are getting too long. We'll see...


#7 - Borba Firming Neck and Decollete Cream: In recent years, I've really noticed that the skin on my neck is aging differently (read: looks way worse) than the skin on my face. This is an extremely rich cream that I use every night on my neck and decollete. I will say this - even when I wake up in the morning, my neck still feels moisturized. 


#8 - Clayton Shagal Collagen Gel Plus: Purchased from my esthetician, this is a 10% collagen gel to help with lines and wrinkles. Since I'm not ready to start getting Botox or filler injections, I decided to invest in this product. Every time I get a facial, Angie uses this on my skin. For days after, it would feel and look great - even when I had on minimal makeup. That was enough to "sell me"!


#9 - Philosophy Hope In A Jar Moisturizer: Facial moisturizer, I apply this product after the collagen gel is completely dry. My skin feels fantastic after using the HIAJ, and I've been using for several years. 


#10 - Kiehl's Lip Balm No. 1 in Mango: Think petroleum jelly, with a mango scent. This keeps my lips moisturized and soft, but isn't sticky. A tube lasts forever! It also comes in other scents such as coconut, cranberry, mint, etc. I love them all! 


So - that's it!  A few things I have learned - through trial and error...


 *Even if something is expensive, that doesn't mean it will work better. 
 *When working within a budget, it is best to purchase the best moisturizers, eye creams, etc that you can afford. 
 *When purchasing cleansing, toning and eye makeup remover products - sometimes the cheaper stuff works just as well. Save your $ for the treatment products (see above point). 
 *Though it was pricey, the Clarisonic was the best investment I've ever made in my skin. My pores are less visible and I know my products are working much better, because they can actually reach the layers of my skin. 
  *It's never too early - or too late - to take care of your skin. If you're young, develop good habits now. It's only a few minutes out of your day (or night!) and it's worth it. If you're like me and "of a certain age", it's not too late to start. Skin care is such a science now - I'm constantly amazed at what the right products can correct. 


All this being said, I am looking for a more potent anti-aging regime. I'll let you know what I decide to try! 


What is your nighttime process? I can't believe mine is TEN steps. Yikes, no wonder it takes so long to get ready for bed! 


p.s.  I'm still amazed by people that sleep in their makeup. Don't they feel like their face is dirty? And don't get me started on sleeping in eye makeup...yuck! The only "Smoky eyes" I want are the ones I applied today! :-) 

Comments

  1. Occupy Clinique. HAHAHAHAHA. Funniest thing I read this am...and yes, not taking off your makeup is GROSS!!! I totally agree!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about people's skin care (and thanks for your makeup tip by the way! I'm trying now!) As for the Latisse, I could definately use it but I'm so pale skinned I'm so afraid I would have the side effects. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this - I love hearing about other's skin care routines. I'm also a big fan of Clinique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Clarisonic and love it! I use mine with Philosophy Purity and it works very well. I used to use Hope In a Jar, but as I've gotten older and experienced some uhm, well hormonal challenges, my skin requires something richer to stay nice and soft, so I use Keihls Ultra Facial Cream. It's great year round and is moisturizing without leaving me feeling like an oil slick. Thanks for the rec on the eye cream - I'm always on the search for a good one that doesn't irritate my eyes. Karen in CT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also use Clinique Toner and Hope In A Jar. I'm also a big fan of Laura Mercier skincare products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I love hearing about other people's skincare routines. I use the Clarisonic Mia. I love the way it feels, but I'm nto sure it's really doing much for my skin... we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori, I love hearing about skin care routines! I also love my clarisonic & clinique products, especially the clarifying and the AAE. I cannot use the clinique cleanser--has a waxy feel to me. I prefer purity made simple. I can't use HIAJ either, too heavy for my skin. Heads up! QVC will have the mia on TSV--soon!

    I've tried so many eye creams: perlier, philosophy, DDF, clinique AAE, AAER, & repairware. AAE is a perennial favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this list! I always took care of my skin growing up. I stayed looking very young. In fact, with my makeup on, people usually think I am about 10 years younger than I am. However, in the past 9 years, I have "fallen off the wagon" where my skin, especially face, neck, and décolleté, is concerned. I have severe sun damage and have had several skin cancer lesions removed from my face and décolleté. Luckily, no scars on the face. Not only that, illness and medications have also changed my skin texture. You have given me tremendous inspiration for a true nighttime routine. As for the Clarisonic, I have wanted one for quite sometime, but it is now on my Christmas list and starred! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work done... You have shared very good information..
    Skin cancer is the most prevalent of all types of cancers. However, various methods of skin cancer treatment have emerged to eradicate this disease. You can visit Skin Cancer Treatment in Alabama to get detailed information

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit With Caroline Grace Jewelry

Testing The Waters

Lilly Pulitzer Resort 2011-2012: First Look & Favorites