Dental Induced Coma

Happy Thursday Shopaholics!

Several of you have contacted me through email or Facebook today to find out how my dental work went. Well..........it was a significantly worse than expected. I was originally scheduled for one cap removal, filling buildup and new cap. Also two other teeth that needed filling "build ups". However, I was concerned about the tooth they were removing the old cap, as it had been quite uncomfortable. 

Turns out, that tooth needed a root canal. Additionally (and just to keep things fun) one of the teeth that had the filling build up, had a really bad fracture that required a cap and there isn't a guarantee that it won't also require a root canal. Can you say "o-m-g"??? I was in the dentist chair for 4 hours today, and just woke up from my drug induced coma.

Now that I'm a little more coherent, I just realized I could have purchased a small (albeit used) boat with the $$$$ I've spent at the dentist the past 6 months. Or another dozen or so Lilly Pulitzer dresses, at full price...I'm actually wondering how in the world it got like this! The things that make you go "hmmmm".....

A few reminders so you won't suffer this same fate.....

ONE - If you have a problem, go to the dentist. Do NOT wait. This isn't something that gets better, it only gets worse. The worse it gets, the more expensive it gets. And the more painful and inconvenient it will be when you finally deal with your problem. Remember, they don't judge. They're not going to fuss at you, they want to help!

TWO - If you grit your teeth (especially while you sleep), please please please have your dentist fit you for a custom mouth guard. They can be worn while sleeping. I hear these guards are quite comfortable, all things considered. The prices for these vary, $400-$700, but it's an investment in your future dental health. I'm getting one just as soon as all my treatments are completed! Shopaholic confession - I have been one to grit my teeth for years. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and my jaw is absolutely killing me. When I had that 'corporate' job, I would catch myself doing it while sitting at my desk, in meetings, etc. Can you say "stress"??? Soooo NOT worth it! Lots of the problems I'm dealing with now are as a result of teeth grinding. Sure wish I could bill someone back for all the hassles. :-(

THREE - Get those six month checkups. They're very important so issues can be dealt with immediately, before they turn into a big ole mess.

FOUR - Try to limit the drinks with acid and sugar. This one is very, very difficult for me, as I'm a 100% Bona Fide Diet Coke Addict. If there were a support group, I'd be the President. I don't drink coffee, but Diet Coke. I wake up with a Diet Coke in the morning, I go to bed with a Diet Coke at night. Diet Coke is my BFF. It's the friend who has never let me down! However.......I'm going to have to find the strength to lay off them, at least a little. You know, maybe just one 2-liter a day instead of two! Please don't judge.... :-)

Back to bed now! I hope everyone has a nice weekend, and don't worry about me. I should be back to my normal Shopaholic self very soon. Thanks again for your kind emails and comments wishing me well. You guys are the best! XOXO

p.s. DH is still working on becoming tobacco free. We're quite the combo this week!

Comments

  1. ugh I am so sorry you had such a terrible time... I am terrible about getting myself to the dentist as often as I should. I take great care of my teeth but I suppose you are right, it's not enough... Hope you are feeling better today! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about this, it sounds like a nightmare.
    Lori - take care of yourself, and try to cut down on the diet coke, that stuff is rat poison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better! Maybe some retail therapy would help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're having to go through all of this. Hope all is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better!!! And your post is so true! Coming from a kid who only had one cavity until she turned 20. I didn't go to the dentist for a year and drank tons of soda, and I had 14 cavities. And when my dentist retired, I didn't find a new one for almost 2 years. Yup, I had like 10 cavities. Yikes!!! I will NEVER do that again. Are root canals painful? My oral surgeon said my filling crumbled in back molar when he was taking my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago. Now that it's healed my dentist is thinking I might have to have a root canal. I'm going to see him next week. I hope I don't, but just was wondering if they hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! I hope you feel better... on my end (and you are the first to know!), my foot issue is just a bad sprain. Go to my blog to see my drama. What's up with the two of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest follower from FF. Can't wait to read more, stop by my blog sometime! Happy FF!

    -K

    http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better! I totally understand where you are coming from. My constant fear of the dentist keeps me from going as much as I can. But by not going I end up having more problems that require more work which feeds my fear. Never ending cycle! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just started following! i drink diet coke like it is my JOB! lets start a support group...i bet there are plenty of people just like us out there in blog world!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit With Caroline Grace Jewelry

Testing The Waters

Lilly Pulitzer Resort 2011-2012: First Look & Favorites